3DiVi algorithm was finally selected due to the combination of good performance, cross platform support, existence of turn-key real-time video processing components, and a flexible licensing option (no-royalties).
To add face recognition to AFIS using 3DiVi products, the following steps were implemented by the Papillon engineers:
- face registration - face capture in accordance with the requirements of ISO/IEC 19794-5 using special photo complex (to enable uniform lighting conditions) or a web camera;
- search for duplicates in the database during the registration;
- search for unknown persons in the database;
- 1:N real-time search mode using workstations;
- 1:N real-time search mode using mobile terminals (Android smartphone, AR glasses);
- ID verification mode (1:1);
- video archive management.
Basic features were implemented by means of low-level libraries provided in 3DiVi Face SDK
The task relating to real-time video processing
was done with the help of the turn-key modules (Face Machine Client frontend module for real-time video processing and Face Machine Server backend module for face images processing and storage). Those modules are supplied as white label for a complete on-prem integration.
The final system is capable of processing the following sources of video: video file and real-time video camera feeds.
The project of adding face recognition to AFIS took one year and was finished in Q2 2018.